Running your own business can be a lot of fun... But it can also prove to be tremendously exhausting! Simply put, even a rational business plan is going to have you on the move more often than not. So... one of the great challenges that comes with constantly being on the go is staying energized! We all want to stay alert, ready for the next challenge, right? We want to be available to our customers & clients and open to opportunities... But we also want to stay healthy and still have enough energy to enjoy our success!
So what can we do to be both successful and full of energy?
Staying Energized On The Go
Speaking from experience... Here are my top tips for staying energized when you’re on the go, go, go rocking your life & biz:
- Take care of your body: When we’re working with a crazy schedule, it’s easy to fall into a habit of eating terrible food and neglecting sleep. Set aside some time over the weekend or one night during the week to prep some healthy, easy to re-heat meals or snacks. Fill up your bottles of water for the next day before you go to bed so that you remember to hydrate during a busy day! Set a timer on your phone with "Shut It Down" alerts when you should be turning off and tuning out at night and hold yourself to the reminder!
- Think positive thoughts: It’s easy to become overwhelmed and fall into a habit of negative belief patterns, particularly when we’re tired. Similar to my first piece of advice, practice strong mental hygiene. When you catch yourself being falling prey to some negative self-talk, counter those thoughts with some self-confidence boosting! Not good at coming up with positive phrases on the fly? Type these into your Notes app on your phone for easy reference: "I am a magnet for driving abundance in the form of money, health and happiness."... "Why do I have all the time I need to complete my work?... "I trust myself and I love myself".
- Build a support network: Sometimes a good way to stay energized is to give yourself a break. Building a support network of friends, employees, and others can help preserve energy by delegating responsibility or even just providing a little emotional support! I find that this is especially essential for those of us who work remotely or work from home. We don't have our "office crew" to rely on... so make sure you create your own network for mental sanity! Also - check out my post on outsourcing for even more ideas for taking tasks off your plate...
- Find time for yourself: There are going to be days when nothing is going to give us an energy boost like doing something we know we love. Leave time for the other things in your life that you enjoy outside of your business endeavors. These things can often give us a renewed sense of purpose, while also connecting us to the best of our personal energy levels! Having trouble setting aside time for yourself? Start small... maybe with just 5 minutes of deep breathing to get some oxygen back in those lungs and to release the tension in your body.
- Give something back: Giving something to the community, particularly your time, is something that comes with several benefits. Most of all, you can restore your energy by doing something sincere for your community! Are you already a volunteer? Share your experience with us in the comments!
- Take time-outs: Time-outs aren't good when I'm talking to my two year old... but for me, I love my time-outs! At least once a day, take some time to step away from your screens, stretch, drink some water, sing a song, do a little dance, or whatever brings you a boost of joy!
- Energy snacks: Believe me... I love my coffee, but try to stop sipping the black stuff non-stop! Instead, stock up on healthy, energy-boosting snacks like nuts, high-water fruits and veggies, and even a hard boiled egg! And don't forget the water... dehydration is the fastest route to feeling sluggish.